Friday, October 3, 2008

My one and only pre-election post!

Since I have left comments on several other peoples' blogs (most are friend-of a friend-of a friend ones) I thought it would be only fair to write down on my own what I think. I always considered myself a moderate democrat but seeing the severe religious right posts of others I'm feeling like a hard-core left-winger. I truly think that our country is desperate for some new leadership, which I think McCain absolutely will not provide. Here's my take on a few of the controversial issues out there...feel free to agree or disagree, I enjoy spirited debate!

Women's Issues: I personally would not have an abortion but I certainly don't think that I have the right to tell another woman what she can/cannot do with her body. I do think that there should be conditions (no late-term abortions where the mother's health is not in jeopardy, etc). I think that those who are anti-abortion need to find a way to take care of all the unwanted children who are already and who will be born in the future before a ban can be put in place (a ban that will not work...just black-market the procedure). This is not an issue ever in national politics but I also think that prostitution should be legalized, regulated and taxed. It's a "crime" that will never be eradicated. And what's the difference between affairs, one-night stands and paying for it?

Economy: I think that in a perfect world where everyone wanted the best for everyone else, the Republican ideal of trickle-down economics might work. However, we are a nation of me-first people. This plan will just make those who are making good money, make more and those who are on the bottom get pushed further down. I think that the lower/middle classes should be given the breaks. If you have more money to spend, more jobs will be created...it won't work the opposite way.

Iraq/Afghanistan: The "war" in Iraq needs to stop, we need to get out and let them take care of their own. If we are going to war with the premise to stop terrorism and promote democracy than why are we not in Darfur and places like that...Oh wait...it's because we have no monetary interest there. I firmly believe that diplomacy will go a long way in restoring our image in the world. Being so hated among other nations only makes us more suscepitble to being a terror target.

Gay Marriage: this is such a non-issue for me. I don't know why anyone cares whether or not somebody wants to get married. If you think it's wrong than don't have one or attend one. But when the divorce rate is 50% in the heterosexual community than maybe it's time we give those who are actually in love a shot at it.

I have lots of opinions on everything and if you know me than you know how passionate I am about sharing them (and usually I offend someone...sorry!) I live in a house divided as well, Jerry is a Republican. If we aren't proof that two opposing sides can live together than I don't know what is. Happy debating everyone!!!!!

6 comments:

Amanda DeHoog said...

We live in a house divided as well . . . Tom always says, we shouldn't bother voting, because our votes just cancel each other out! Of course we do though . . . can you guess who is the democrat and who is the republican? :)

crystalkupper said...

I'm not sure if I know you or if someone I know knows you? But anyway, as far as what you wrote on my blog: I've heard all the reasons why Democrats are voting for Obama. What I was genuinely asking was why Christians whom I know to have great hearts are voting for him. And that's not a shake-my-head-in-wonderment question. As far as what you said about abortion: my family and myself have always practiced what we preach in that area. My parents took in several foster children and adopted 2, and today financially donate to foster advocacy services. I am a CASA volunteer, which works with foster kids in the legal system. Most of my friends who are pro-life? We work at crisis pregnancy centers, women's shelters, speak out against domestic abuse, raise money for the March of Dimes, etc. We are pro-life. I always hear the argument that what would we do with all these unwanted children? Well, start adopting them out to the THOUSANDS of infertile parents who desperately want a child! I believe God honors us when WE honor life.

Tonya Doman said...

You crack me up! Well said--even though, I'm with Jerry! :) Never before have I been so passionate about the election.
Although, I must say the VP debate so was pretty pathetic.... in your favor! :)

JERRY G. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JERRY G. said...

I have to say, that this is the one area where we tend to agree-to-disagree the most on! I lean 90% to the GOP (as Dummy Dino would say), and for the most part that places Meg and I on opposite sides of the fence... Except for WA St. Governor... I can't bring myself to vote for "Mr. Cut $ and Pave the State" Dino Rossi. I stood on the steps of Olympia in 2003 against his awesome budget cuts against VOTER MANDATED C.O.L.A's for teachers (which were 20 years overdue), and do not think that many younger teachers can survive if he gets his hands on our state... For this, Meg and I agree.... For the President, not so much.

And Yes, Tonya. Palin did not shine brighter than Biden in the debate, but I don't know that it was a blow out. That was a pretty soft debate on both sides...
~Jerry Gardner~

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100% Meggie. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree as they say. GO OBAMA........there is NO other choice. Look what 8 years of W have wrought. Momma Bear