Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas Morning

Christmas morning started as usual with Abby getting up around 5. I guess she went downstairs to get something off the table and didn't notice the presents and stockings that were out and when I went in at 6:30 and told her Santa had come she was VERY excited. Since Jerry had to be at work at 9 we woke Trey up and came downstairs to let the fun begin. Trey was super excited to see presents under the tree and ran right over, picked one up and said "This one! This one!" Too bad he picked up a present for me! I think Abby got everything she ever wanted and Trey got whatever we thought he'd like and each present seemed to be a big hit with him.

Another thing to throw!
A new princess book for my little reader
Rescue Squad Mater!
Jerry got her a kids MP3 player and pre-loaded it with her favorite songs. Now she sings LOUDLY and very much off-key (did I mention LOUDLY?!), and it's way funnier when she has headphones on because she doesn't realize how loud she really is. She has told me a number of times about how good a singer she is and I, as the proud momma, always agree. She does bring a smile to my face.
Finally got his own flashlight so he'll leave Abby's alone
See, I really was there!
Looks like somebody was hitting the nog pretty hard :)
Santa came through big time for Abby and brought her the little Snow White doll that went with the other 4 she got from Grammy. She was SOOOOO HAPPY!!
Now she has 5 to carry around, read to, play with and sleep with. And they all get 2 hugs and lots of kisses every night. Adds about 5 minutes to her already ridiculous bedtime routine but they just delight her to no end.
We finished opening presents and I cooked a ham and egg breakfast while Jerry played with the kids for a bit and then got ready for work. I was looking forward to the day as there were lots of new things to occupy the kids. I even dared to plan (in my mind!) to clean my room up. But the day did not go as planned. Both kids were on a present high and wanted to try out everything. We spent about 10 minutes on each toy and they both fought over everything. If someone was playing something the other one wanted to join in. Abby got a lot of things that were not Trey-proof so he had a really rough day. Abby got a little reprieve when Trey went down for a nap and I let her get out her new paint book. That night I thought that I would give them a bath to pass the time and wear them out but even that was a disaster. Screaming, yelling, fighting, screaming, screaming, water throwing, screaming....not cool. When bedtime finally rolled around I was delirious with excitement over the prospect of having 15 minutes all to myself before it was my bedtime! A super fun and wonderful morning....but Jerry is not allowed to work Christmas day again!
I was really not in much of a Christmas mood this year. I've been sick with a nasty, nasty cold since right after Thanksgiving and it has sapped my energy. But watching my babies have such a magical time really made all the crankiness and craziness of the holiday truly worth it. I am most definitely looking forward to next year with them!

Abby and Trey both got giftcards to Target as a present this year and I decided that Abby is old enough to pick out her own toys so when we were there the other day she found a Disney puzzle that she really wanted. I told her she had her own money and if that was something she wanted to buy she could use her giftcard. So home we went with a new 750 piece puzzle. It took us most of the afternoon but we finished it together. She put in about a third of the pieces on her own and spent a lot of time handing me pieces, telling me which character they belonged too (and getting that right!). She is such a smart cookie and I love being able to share my love of reading and puzzles with her!

No comments: