Friday, June 4, 2010

Abby's Latest Obsession

I am now the proud owner of a Sedro Woolley Library Card!! I took Abby a month or so ago to the library for the first time. We talked and talked about how there were millions of books there and the library ladies were going to let us take some home BUT we were going to have to give them back after two weeks. She was gung-ho on getting new books but not so keen about the giving them back part. Up until then she had always gotten new books given to her for keeps. I was kind of hoping that she would be able to have her own card but you have to be 5 for that. Oh well, it's not like she can drive herself down there anyway!

Our first trip was good. We picked out almost all Max and Ruby books. Taking them back was a bit of an ordeal but then I told her she could pick out NEW ones. Problem solved. She picked out more Max & Ruby books plus a few that were displayed on top of the shelves. Taking those back was a little easier since she wasn't with me. I picked out the last Max & Ruby book plus a Shel Silverstein book and a couple others and brought them home to her. She liked my choices *whew*. Her trip two weeks ago went well too. There was another little girl in the kids section this time and Abby was not too thrilled about that. The other girl was a little more outgoing than Abby and she kept moving away from her. I think Abby was maybe thinking that the girl was going to steal her books! I let Abby choose all of her own books. She even picked out one from the shelf...not just the ones being displayed. I was happy with her choices UNTIL I STARTED READING ONE! She had picked out a Charlie Brown book and was very excited about it. I started reading and got three lines into it before I figured out it was a book about a girl, a friend of Linus', who got cancer and had to miss school and stay in the hospital and have medicine put into her arm through a needle!

Jerry was sitting at his computer and I saw him turn around and give me a "wtf?" look midway through the book. I didn't want to stop and was just hoping that the little girl didn't die at the end! Luckily she was okay. Abby is so observant and aware of everything that she might now be scarred for life on hospitals. Ooops. Jerry gave me strict instructions that I am to double check all of Abby's book choices BEFORE we check them out. And here I was so proud that she had picked out books on her own!

Tuesday was our most recent trip and as soon as we walked in the doors Abby said "Okay Mom, you go look at your books and I'm going to my special section". Right-O Abby. And off she marched into the kids area. She wasn't even fazed by the two boys in there. I went off to the mystery section and a few minutes later Abby came out with a Peter Rabbit book that she wanted. I told her she already had that one at home and to find another one. She was fine with that and off she went again. I found books for myself and made my way over the kids area. There was Abby searching through the books on the shelf...progress! She had only picked one from the displayed books and found a couple I-SPY ones off the shelf, on her own. I carefully looked over her selections and they all seemed appropriate...no books on kids with cancer this time. It was a long 3 minute ride home for Ab, she couldn't wait to read her new books!! Sounds lame but I am so jazzed that she is a book-lover like me!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've always said, "Readers are Leaders!" Go Abby!!!

Riahli said...

It's one of the best feelings in the world isn't it! Banden has always loved books and he just gets more and more interested in them and in reading and I LOVE it. I can't wait until he is old enough for me to share some of the ones I really liked, there are quite a few I know he will like because I wasn't much of a girly girl and read a lot of adventure or animal books. He loves going to the library...to bad his mommy is a loser and owes them a whole lot of money right now. So sad. One of these days I'll get it paid off...to bad library books aren't like netflix because I suck at returning anything on time!!