Friday, March 12, 2010

Winter Olympics 2010

Jerry kept saying how much fun he thought it would be to go to Vancouver during the Olympics just to check it out and see the sights. We finally decided on the second Monday of the games that we would go on Thursday. I had an expired passport so I had to go to the DMV and get the enhanced license. I took a few hours of work Tuesday and sat there for 40 minutes before finally getting to the counter where I was informed that the EDL system was down and no, no one was sure when it would be up and running. Awesome. So I tried again Wednesday and after 90 minutes of waiting I was the proud owner of a temporary, paper EDL.

We dropped the kiddos off at my mom's house at 7:30...yes we actually got up and got going early that day! The Canadian customs guy couldn't believe that I handed him a PAPER license. I had my regular license too and that was fine (you really only need the enhanced to get back IN the states). So off we went on the Canadian highway into Surrey where we parked at Scott Rd and got on the SkyTrain. We rode all the way to the Waterfront and got off and grabbed some breakfast at the McD's there. Fueled up, we were ready to start our day of walking. We first stopped to see the cauldron, torch, flame, fire, whatever it was called.
We stopped to look out at the water too and I was trying to take a picture of the floating Chevron gas station (I am that nerdy!) and Jerry asked if I was taking a picture of the rings. I said "What rings?" And he looked at me like I was the biggest idiot ever, pointed, and said "Those rings!" I took another look and right next to the floating gas station was the barge with the Olympic rings. So I took a picture of them for Jerry.
My handsome tour-guide figuring out our route.
We walked a million miles, saw a million things but most of them you have probably seen on tv but this display really caught my eye. It was a long, double line of trees with these lanterns. It looked really beautiful at night all lit up.

We bought the kids each a stuffed mascot. Abby got MukMuk (the thing with the orange hat) and Trey got Sumi (the one with the green hat) and Jerry and I thought it would be funny to get a picture of us with them, in a bobsled of course. The kids loved it.
We scored free suite tickets from a scalper for the bronze medal, women's hockey game. Long story but the seats were sweet (suite/sweet, get it?!). Finland one which was great since everyone in our box seemed to be rooting for them.
Jerry again thought I was a tool for taking another lame-o picture but I full on claim my nerd status. Our box was right next to these guys and the one with the white hair was the announcer for the arena. I spent a lot of time watching him, and thought it was very fun and interesting.
There are guys on life guard stands on many street corners who shout out random informative things. Games that are starting, scores of previous events, directions, etc.

After the hockey game we walked across the street to Costco for lunch. Long story short, Jerry helped a guy having a heart attack (or something very much like one), pretty much saved his life as the ambulance took almost 25 minutes to get there, and Costco gave us free lunch. Woo-hoo! It was neat for me to see Jerry in action, I've never gotten to witness it. I was proud and impressed. We had such a great time together. We spent 12 hours together, walked a lot, shopped a lot and I don't recall arguing once!!!

No comments: